Friday, September 2, 2011

No, Obama didn't "Cave" on EPA Smog Rules

I'm only tired of defending the President because I shouldn't have to....why people so easily jump to the conclusion the president "caved"-without even looking for facts-is beyond me. 


I saw this on Raw Story  under the headline "Obama kills EPA smog ruling" followed by many angry comments. He caved, they proclaim....etc., etc...so I googled just a little and found a BBC article (and seriously, I have to look to the BBC to find reliable US news?). It states "Mr Obama asked EPA administrator Lisa Jackson to withdraw the draft rules, saying in a statement on Friday: "I have continued to underscore the importance of reducing regulatory burdens and regulatory uncertainty, particularly as our economy continues to recover."


Start Quote

This is a new low for President Obama”
Kieran SucklingCenter for Biological Diversity
"The EPA estimated a new smog standard would cost up to $90bn (£55bn) a year - opponents said it would cost more."
Obama on Friday said that the EPA should wait to revise the rule until the next scheduled round of review is due in 2013. Industry groups had made the same argument.

Then I found an article on Politico which adds "
“Work is already under way to update a 2006 review of the science that will result in the reconsideration of the ozone standard in 2013,” Obama said. “Ultimately, I did not support asking state and local governments to begin implementing a new standard that will soon be reconsidered.”

Okay, let's consider that for a minute. We are, I assume you know, in a difficult economy. The rules would cost $90 billion annually  to implement. And there are new rules coming in 2013. 

I imagine this from a workplace standpoint. Imagine your workplace decides on new rules that everyone has to learn but just for 18 months-at which time you and everyone else will have to learn a different set of rules. This will cost a lot of money at a time the company is struggling. 

Does that make any sense at all? The President made the correct decision. Again.

Don't become the monster my friends. They don't need your help.


No comments:

Post a Comment